Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Home Stretch

God is good! God is very, very good!  I have a baby in my arms. On my couch.  At home. Did ya catch that? At home!!!

Baby B, our TTTS recipient, came home after 110 days in the NICU weighing a whopping 7 lbs 10 oz (birth weight was 2 lbs 3 oz)!!!  Jesus kept her safe through NEC, two surgeries and all of the other hurdles she's overcome just by being a micro preemie.  Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me.

She isn't the only one familiar with the OR though; her sister, Baby A, decided she wanted a really cool NICU battle scar, too, so she developed pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure in her lungs) resulting from a large opening in her heart (patent ductus arteriosus) which needed to be surgically closed.  The hypertension developed quickly and she didn't love the medication much.  At fist we were told she would need to be transported to a different hospital within 24 hours.   Fortunately they were able to find an available surgeon (apparently they get called into all day emergency surgeries a lot) and an OR that met our criteria (apparently they have to be kept at a higher temperature for preemies) a day later so she was able to have the surgery at our hospital.

Having two kids in two different hospitals and two at home probably would have been enough to push this momma over the edge.  It was hard.  Really, really hard.  On top of it all I was sick with a nasty upper respiratory infection and the thing about having a baby with lung problems is that you can't be around them with upper respiratory infections.  There were definitely some moments during this that I was really mad at God for not letting me see my girls.  (That's right, it was His fault.)  It felt like He didn't really love me, I mean if He did, then why would He let me get so sick so I couldn't be with my baby when she was so sick?  Fortunately He didn't hold a grudge and changed my heart from focusing on the love I wasn't feeling to how much I knew He loved my little Baby A.  She is His baby, too, and He loves her more than I ever could.  Focusing on His love for her brought so much peace.  And you wanna know what?  The trouble we had locating a surgeon and an operating room gave me the extra day I needed to get better and see my precious baby before her surgery.  She is recovering quickly so hopefully she will be able to come home, too, very soon.  Yes, God is good. :)

Here are just a few of the ways God has been good to us since my last post:

Baby A recovering beautifully from surgery - without O2 support!!! 

Baby A doesn't look too thrilled about sharing. Such is life when you're a twin sweet thing. 
....And this is why I have to dress in layers. #drool #soworthit


Life at home keeps going!

....and going...(Yuck! Snake worm - this is why God gave me 3 girls!)

"Is she for real? Can I kiss her?" ~ Big brother


"Nose." ~ Big sister

Very happy to be home!


Colossians 3:1-2
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Psalm 30:11-12
You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!

Inspirational Quote:
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain." ~ Joseph Campbell

My Prayer:
Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus!  Thank you for your never ending love; thank you for your forgiveness; thank you for your presence; thank you for your perfect timing; thank you for your bountiful blessings.  Thank you my Lord Jesus for helping Baby A get the surgery she needed and for helping me get better all according to your perfect plan.  Thank you for the doctors and nurses who have taken such excellent care of our girls helping them grow and develop so that they may come home.  Please help Baby B continue to thrive at home, please help her brother and sister adjust quickly and please help Baby A continue to make progress so she can come home as well.  I also ask that you strengthen the other families we have met along the way with babies fighting just as hard as ours.  We know you love them as you love our children.  Thank you, in your name Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment